1) What is the recommended free disk space in /tmp to install WAS.
2) What is the default installation location of WAS in Linux.
3) What is the default installation location of WAS in Sun Solaris.
4) What is the default installation location of WAS in AIX
5) List any 10 parameters in response file
6) Write the complete command to execute a response file.
<was-setup>./install –options “<absolute path of response file>” – silent
7) Which registry file will get updated after installation of WAS.
8) What is the use of SOAP Connector port and what is the default soap port number for DMGR profile.
Client Applications like wsadmin uses Simple Object Access Protocol and that is listening to the port 8879. If we want federate a profile by using SOAP protocol and SOAP connector port number, we can federate a profile.
9) What is the default Http transport port number for Application Server profile and what is the use.
9080, (if ssl was enabled 9443) If we want to invoke applications running on AppServer we are using HTTP transport port
10) What is the default Bootstrap port number in App.Serv profile and what is the use.
2809. To access the EJB’s, JNDI use bootstrap port to obtain initial context root.
11) Installation was successful and when I am trying to start server it is giving “Invocation Target Exception” why you will get this issue and how you are trouble shooting this issue.
May be the problem with hostnames, hostnames are mismatched. Add the host name in etc/hosts file which you had given at the time of installation.
12) What are different profile templates in WAS 6.0?
Dmgr, default and managed
13) Write the complete command to create an App.Serv profile through command line.
C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\bin>wasprofile.bat -create -profileName AppSrv04 -profilePath“C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\profiles\AppSrv04″ -template Path“C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\profileTemplates\default” -nodeName app_node04 -cellNamecell04 -hostName krishamurthy
14) Write a complete command to delete a profile.
C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\profiles\AppSrv01\bin>wasprofile.bat -delete -profileName AppSrv01
15) If you get a problem before creating a log’s directory at the time of installation, at that time where you can check the status of installation
16) What is the difference between managed node and unmanaged node
Manged Node contains node agent, we can administer federated profiles servers and applications from dmgr admin console. For unmanaged the will be no nodeagent.
17) What is the impact for the federated profile servers, if DMGR is down.
No impact on servers and applications
18) In which xml file, we can change the port numbers.
19) What is a server.
Server provides a runtime environment for your web app’s Or Enterprise applications.
Server receives user request, process that request and execute that request and response will be generated to the end users.
20) If we stop the nodeagent, what will be the impact for end users.
There is no impact for end users
21) How to take backup with out stopping servers.
22) What are the different user registries under global security in 6.0 and 6.1.
Local OS, Custom, LDAP. Federated repository was added in 6.1
23) What is the necessity of global security?
To provide security for the admin console.
24) What is the port number for LDAP server with SSL and without SSL?
389 and 636
25) How to disable Global Security
./wsadmin.sh -conntype NONE
26) How to know how many profiles are available.
27) What are the advantages and disadvantages of Local OS,Custom and LDAP user registries?
Global Security: In 6.0 we have 3 ways to provide security for admin console.
1) Local os user registry.
2) Custom user registry.
3) LDAP (Light Weight Directory Access Protocol) user registry.
a) Custom user registry: Here we have to create two files named:
We can create this file any where but we have to configure this absolute path to the application servers.
b) LDAP: It is a mechanism & not a server. Here we are integrating seperate directory servers.
if SSL is enabled the port number is 636, if it is not enabled 389.
-> In local os user registry we have to create user accounts and that user accounts have to configure to websphere application servers.
where as in the custom user registry specifying user names and passwords in a normal file and we are specifying the absolute path of that file into the websphere application server. whenever we are going for LDAP user registry we have to specify user id & password & type of directory server, port number (default is 389), if SSL is enabled we have to specify port number as 636 and we have to specify Base distinguished name which indicates authentication for users and we have to specify Bind distinguished name and Bind password which specify authorization for user and we have to select “Advanced Light Weight Directory Access Protocol user registry settings” there we have to specify user filter classes and group filter classes (automatically it will be there) and finally we have to restart the server.
28)What is the full form of JDBC.
JDBC (java Database Connectivity) is an API (Applicationprogram Interfaces), that is useful to write a java program to connect any database, and retrieve the data form the database and utilize the data in the java program.
Making a connection to a database
Creating SQL or MySQL statements
Executing that SQL or MySQL queries in the database
Viewing & Modifying the resulting records
We have 2 types of JDBC drivers in was. Those are Type2(Thick) and Type4(Thin/Native Protocol) jdbc drivers.Type2 JDBC drivers require the database client software on the client node to connect to the database server.Type4 JDBC drivers connect directly to the database server.
29) What is the full form of JAR and what a jar file contains?
An EJB module which contains enterprise java beans class files and EJB deployment descriptors are packed as JAR files with .jar extension.
30)Write the name of the jar file necessary to configure Oracle 9i & Oracle 10g Database.
In oracle 10g & 9i We have only one jar file i.e OJDBC14.JAR (for log) & Class12.jar (for 9i) and In DB2 we have 3 or more jar files. i.e DB2JCC.JAR,DB2JCC_LICENSE_C4.JAR, DB2JCC_LICENCE_CIS42.JAR.
-> The .jar file is nothing but a collection of .class files. It is necessary to communicate with the database. So we should configure this jar files with database.
31) What is a connection pool?
Connection pooling is a place where a set of connections are kept and are used by the different programmers with out creating connections to the database(it means there is a ready made connection available for the programmers where he can use). After using the connection he can send back that connection to the connection pool. Number of connections in connection pool may vary.
32) What is meant by Federation
33) What are the different types of console roles available and explain about each role?
34) what is your goal and role in was?
a. Goal is to provide infrastructure for the demands
b. goal is to provide stable environment
c. goal is to provide high availability
d. goal is to provide scalability
e. goal is to provide 0 downtime
a. involve in infrastructure architecting a.k.a design
b. involve in implementing architectures
c. involve in solving infrastructure issues
d. involve in solving application environment issues
e. involve in solving issues which become hurdles in providing high availability
f. involve in solving issues which become hurdles in scaling
35) what is incident management?
Incident = Issue. Hurdle. Risk. Downtime. Security Breach.
Incident Management = Risk Plan. Potential incidents management.
36) Do you know how to configure ticketing tool with WAS?
This is a meaningless question. You need more information to address this question.
Ticketing System – is it part of IBM? Does it fall in Web Sphere Umbrella? Is it an application running on WAS? Is it a Web based app? or Java Client?
Unless you know these, it’s a blind question.
37) when you configure LDAP with application server, if the users are unable to connect to WAS. How do you trouble shoot this scenario?
You don’t trouble shoot, you *troubleshoot*
The issue is – U have LDAP, running on Server x. Server y, WAS bind to server x.
if a problem occurs, u need to dig like this -
A) Ldap up or not
B) If yes, can server y reach server x [simple ping or telnet on ldap port]
C) If yes – Ur infrastructure is clear
D) Any firewall between server y and server x. talk to firewall team, ask them to enable trace between server y and x. any droppage of packets?
E. if everything is clean, talk to ldap admin, enable trace on that specific group who are getting auth errors.
F) Look into systemout.log, find out what exactly the error message you get.
G) U have to login to admin console and verify the authentication. u can *test* ldap auth from console. Feb 7 (2 days ago) Raju
38) What is the difference between Signed Certificate and Self-signed certificate? Which one you prefer?
39) In Windows 2003 box, an application server process is not responding. How do you trouble shoot this issue. Even when you are unable to kill the process.
*trouble shoot* – On any server, app server freeze – may because of resource crunch, or process failing to release a resource, jvm could not complete a specific thread, blablabla.
a. do u have enuf rights to kill the process?
b. check the processor utilization thru task manager
c. kill -3, if not responding, try again, again and again
d. verfiy the disk space.
e. verify error log and out log.
40) how many types of scripting you have done or you know?
such questions cannot be asked in a forum, or its difficult to answer. if i were you, i wud say, perl scripting, php, python, jython, tcl, jacl, ant, shell, blabla. Feb 7 (2 days ago)
41) when you are on call support when you got a severity 1 ticket, how do you take action. Explain in detail.
Open the ticket, read the message what the problem is about.
login to targeted server(s), check logs, depending on error, propagate first hand info to stakeholders. sit on the issue, fix it, close it.
42) What is a fix pack, refresh pack and when you will go for fix pack installation and when you will go for refresh pack installation?
fix pack fixes certain issues.
refresh pack is a mile stone for a release.
a refresh pack takes you to a release, say
126.96.36.199 is a release. if you apply rp2, it becomes a release 6.0.2. if you apply fp35, it becomes 188.8.131.52, which is not a release. Feb 7 (2 days ago) Raju
43) when you find in a particular server ‘cpu starvation’ error message what you will do?
whenever there is not enough physical memory available to allow the high availability manager threads to have consistent runtimes. When the CPU is spending the majority of its time trying to load swapped-out processes while processing incoming work, thread starvation might occur.
Goto InfoCenter, search for starvation.
To achieve good performance and avoid receiving these error messages, it is recommended that you allocate at least 512 MB of RAM for each Java process running on a single machine.
High CPU usage in a large cell configuration when security is enabled
With certain configurations and states, the amount of time spent in discovery becomes substantial.
If a large the number of processes are defined within a core group, a proportionally large number of connections must be established to support these processes.
If a large number of inactive processes are defined within a core group, a proportionally large number of connections are attempted during each discovery interval.
If global security is enabled, the DCS connections are secured, and the impact of opening a connection greatly increases .
To decrease the CPU time spent in discovery:
In the administrative console, click Servers > Core groups > Core groups settings , and then select the -> DefaultCoreGroup.
Under Additional Properties, click Custom properties > New.
Enter IBM_CS_UNICAST_DISCOVERY_INTERVAL_SECS in the Name field and 120 in the Value field.
Then click New again and enter IBM_CS_SS_SECURE_TOKEN in the Name field andfalse in the Value field.
Click OK and then Save to apply these changes to the master configuration.
Restart the server for these changes to take effect.
Transient high availability heartbeat failures und
11.If we said to analyze thread dumps can you do?
Ya!! Why not
44) How comfortable with scripting?
100% pakka comfortable
45) Did you worked with JACL or Jython scripts?
I prefer one scripting style. Why wud I use two scripting styles? At a given point of time, scripting interface accepts only one language.
46) When you found hung thread error messages what you will do? Will you kill the process. If yes, in which case you have to kill the process?
Lucky you and lucky me, we have IBM’s InfoCenter. Is it not easy to perform a simple search on InfoCenter like this *hung thread*?
Configuring the hang detection policy
The hang detection option for WebSphere Application Server is turned on by default. You can configure a hang detection policy to accommodate your applications and environment so that potential hangs can be reported, providing earlier detection of failing servers. When a hung thread is detected, WebSphere Application Server notifies you so that you can troubleshoot the problem.
Add the following properties:
Value: The frequency (in seconds)
Default: 180 seconds (three minutes).
Value: The length of time (in seconds).
Default: The default value is 600 seconds (ten minutes).
Value: The number of times (T) that false alarms can occur before automatically increasing the threshold. Feb 7 (2 days ago) Raju
47) Explain about your enivronment, servers, webservers, etc.,
Think about ur company and thier business. Cook a story. Serve it on the table with some masala, salt and pepper.
48) What is a document server and what is the use of it.
this is the funniest question one can ask.
what is a document server? in general a document server is a repository of documents in an enterprise.
what is the use of it? its the central repository and depending access polices agency wide authorized and authenticated *users* can access documents.
u have prepared a document on ur environment. u need a place to put that document so that ur team can access it, ur manager can access it. above that, another team who wants to read that document can access that, above that, some infrastructure team can access it, above that datacom people can access it and so on.
what is the best place to put it?
on ur desk top? or attach to mail? or dump it in a shared location.
if its a shared location, what that could be? will you dump it in a zunkyard shared location or in a proper shared location? first | < previous | next > | last
report spam reply
49) TYPES OF SEVERIATIES?
Severities will be of different types like Severity 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
Depending upon the type of issue it will be classified.
50) WHAT TYPE OF ISSUE’S CONTAIN SEVERIATY1 TICKET’S?
Severity 1 tickets are the most rare tickets which will get and
which we have to get in our administration.
If our process is not running smooth, that means your application not responding,
application server is not responding or entire environment falls then we will get
severity 1 ticket.
51.WHAT IS THE DIFF B/W COREDUMP & THREAD DUMP?
there is not much difference between these two.
In thread dump we can find, what are the active threads that are there at that
particular time. Where as core dump contains information about dead locks,
hang threads also
52.WHEN THE SERVER HUNG HOW WILL IDENTIFY IN SYSOUT.LOG?
Its very simple in systemout.log we will find a particular thread is hung from this
many milli seconds will be found. The thread name will be WSVR****
53. HOW TO TAKE BACKUP THE APPLICATION?
Taking backup of the application can be done by using export option
in the admin console or directly from the directory location.
54. WHAT’S THE RELATION B/W WIILY INTROSCOPE & WAS(LIKE AGENT/AGENTLESS)?
Wily introscope is a third party tool which is used to monitor the server environments,
not only WAS anything.